Viva Las Vegas

So our annual trip to Las Vegas has begun. 

Our journey began when we left work on Thursday around four and headed into Bakersfield.  The drive was not as good as when we went to LA in February because that trip was a fluke.  On that trip we had ZERO traffic.  We were the only ones on the road for most of the trip and it was wonderful.  So we made it to our hotel in a little under four hours. 



We found the shining beacon of light that is a Sonic Drive In on the way to the hotel and stopped and got some Chili Cheese Tots, Bacon Cheeseburger, Popcorn Chicken and a MnM Blast.  I know I always say I wished we had Sonic’s in Monterey but it is really a blessing.  There is a reason I weighed over 300 lbs when I worked a block away from one of these evil temptresses.

We checked into the Hilton Garden Inn with no problems and headed up to our room.  We had stayed here last year and knew we liked it so it when we discovered we could get it with a 59.00 room rate we jumped on it.

Hilton Garden Inn

Hilton Garden Inn

We settled in but it didn’t take long for us to get sleepy and hit the sack.  I slept sooooo good that night.  I don’t know what kind of mattress’ the Hilton uses but damn, I want one.  That was probably one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on.

Friday morning we were packed and on the road about ten after ten in the morning.  Already it was hotter than I remembered it being when I lived in AZ.  I know that is not true, but I guess my blood has thickened back up since moving to Monterey. 

The traffic wasn’t *too* bad and we made it to the Orleans in about five hours stopping only once for gas. 

The Orleans Room 236

The Orleans Room 236

Check in at the Orleans was a breeze.  We were able to verify my mothers reservationimg_8219(also in my name) for the next day and got the room that we had requested.  After a couple of trips to the car for all of our crap(this is why we drive, not fly.) we settled into the room and relaxed for a bit.  I called the cell phone that I had gotten my mother back in July when I was in Maine but it went straight to voicemail.  I figured that she had forgotten to turn her cell phone back on when she got off the plane on Thursday, so I then called the Golden Nugget where she was staying and left her a voicemail there.

Rob and I spent most of Friday night exploring the casino and all that it had to offer.img_8218  The reason we picked this place was because it had a movie theater and a bowling alley…other things to keep us entertained.  The older we get the less we are all about drinking and gambling the whole trip. 

We stopped by the arcade and played twice on a roller coaster simulator.  It was fun and the only kind of roller coaster you will ever see me on.  🙂  Finally, we got some dinner at TGIFridays and came back up to the room to hit the sack.  We had a full day the next day and were tucked into bed fairly early for us in Vegas and only 20 bucks down on gambling money.

Saturday was shaping up to be a busy day for us.  Our friend Scott was flying himself into the Henderson airport to meet up with us for lunch before heading back to Phoenix.  We also had to pick mom up at the Golden Nugget and bring her over to where we were staying at the Orleans to check in for the duration of her stay.

We woke to find overcast skies.  Rob mentioned that it was supposed to rain.  This could have posed a potential problem for our friend Scott flying in, but when checked his voicemail there was a message from him stating he was ready for take off and would see us around ten.  So we showered and dressed and headed out to the Golden Nugget, arriving a little early so that I could use up some old gift cards at the Starbucks there.

Rob dropped me off so I could get in line and then parked in the GN parking structure.  While I was waiting in the massive line, Rob had come down and found my mother and brought her and her luggage to meet me.  Per her request I got her a water and a muffin, and myself a caramel frap and croissant and also a latte for Scott.  $17.00 later I was told that they do not honor gift cards.  Wait…what?  You are Starbucks, but you don’t honor your own gift certificates?  Hmph.

With our bounty paid on a debit card we loaded mom and her luggage into our car and took off for Henderson.

To be continued….

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

About Me


I am a 40 something married woman living in California.
I enjoy knitting and crocheting, watching crap movies, snuggling with my two adorable dogs and trying to be a good person.

Follow me